A lunch inspiration! Lunch is my hardest meal. That's because my husband makes breakfast and he's here to eat dinner opening up all sorts of possibilities since he eats everything. Lunch is another story. I often don't get home til noon and I'm so hungry by that point and the girls are much more likely to outright refuse to eat anything creative. So I decided lunch is free game. The kids can choose leftovers or a sandwich. I can choose whatever I want and today I created something yummy! I didn't measure as I went so this recipe is estimated. You could definitely go more heavy on the vegetables!
Garden Pasta Skillet
1 cup whole wheat penne
2 Tbsp light olive oil
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1 cup onions, sliced
1 large cremini mushroom, minced
1 large handful Swiss chard stems, minced
1 large handful of pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large handful Swiss chard leaves, chopped fine
1 small handful fresh basil, chopped fine
1) Cook penne according to package directions and set aside.
2) Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute squash, onions, mushrooms and Swiss chard stems until slightly softened (3-4 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) Add pine nuts and saute until vegetables are tender.
4) Turn off heat and add noodles and Swiss chard cooking until Swiss chard is wilted. I added butter here until the noodles were not sticky (maybe 1/2-1 Tbsp butter)
5) Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.
6) Serve topped with feta cheese, crumbled
Post a Comment